Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Wale Show!

Sorry there are no pics....my batteries decided to die when I got there anywho...

To say Hip-Hop is boring is an understatement. Hip-Hop sucks at the moment, and there is nothing to really be excited about (except for the new Eminem album). But about 2 years ago, my ears were introduced to some rapper from DC name Wale. Not overly impressed with “Dig Dug” I didn’t think too much of him until he dropped “100 Miles and Running” and ever since then I have been a big fan. Then about a year later or so later Wale dropped “The Mixtape About Nothing” and he quickly became one of my favorite rappers. So much so that I even had to put the big Homie Robin Monique up on game about this cat. So when my man Matt told me he was going to get Wale in Cincinnati, I was hype!

And sure enough he did. For what seemed like an eternity we stood there listening to what seemed like 20 opening acts, and really one 3 of them were dope. Around 1am Wale came and rescued the impatient crowd. Walking through the crowd as the magnificent UCB found the groove to “Breakdown”, Wale grabbed the mic of the stand and went in. Someone in the crowd even requested “Dig Dug” and UCB killed that joint. But there was no better moment then when Wale dropped “Sexy Lady” and the crowd went crazy. For Cincinnati to have such a poor taste in music I was very surprised at the turn for his show. But to be honest the crowd really couldn’t follow along to any of his songs because they are not too familiar with his work.

After a few more cuts, I take a look at my watch and the time said 2:15 am, and I had to be up for work at 5:30….Tap shorty on the shoulder and we rolled out, then in the car I realized that I probably missed him perform “Nike Boots”.

Wale is the type of artist that will make you love Hip-Hop, his band was dope, he got the crowd hype, and he makes good music. Hip-Hop does have a few gems in the midst of all this garbage and I really hope the world pays attention to this Kid because he is really something special. So for you all who are not hip to Wale, you really should check this man out, I promise you….you will be very happy you did. Take it from someone who careless about Hip-Hop music right now.

4 comments:

Robin Monique said...

Man! His live show is pure awesomeness. He closed out with NIke Boots here so if you missed the end of the concert you probably missed it. So glad you put me onto this dude! I personally feel that the game is going to need the next generation to step up. No disrespect to Jay, Nas, Em & the crew, but I'm refreshed by the young talent that's on deck right now. Between Drake & Wale, I see hip-hop making a comeback this year.

12kyle said...

I wanna catch this dude in concert. I heard that he puts on a great show. Gotta check him out. Like you...I'm a fan

Mizrepresent said...

Glad u are back on the grind D, missed u much!

Don said...

Good read, I've been checking his music out on YouTube since this past weekend. Cat has definite talent.