Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fear of Success

A part of me feels like at 24 years young, I haven’t even tapped my potential yet. It’s as if my ceiling is unlimited, but I’m a little afraid of the person I will become. To sum it all up, I am afraid of my own success. Years ago I would have never imagine that I would be in a position in my life where I was comfortable in my situation, I actually have a career, I have a wonderful relationship with a very beautiful woman and most of all, yet and still I have some sort of void that I need to fill. The fear of what I am capable of becoming goes through my mind everyday in every decision that I make.

I have a huge amount of self confidence in my ability to do all things, and I have dreams and goals to fulfill just like the next man/woman, but I’ve always been apprehensive in making the proper steps forward….until yesterday. Yesterday I told myself that enough was enough and It was finally time for me to put my fears a side and reach for the stars. So last night I applied for my MBA at Xavier University (Cincinnati, OH).

Please do not get me mistaken, having a number of degrees attached to my name is not going to determine how successful I will be in life, but I do know that obtaining my MBA I will position myself for greater things in the future. I refuse to allow myself to become complacent and just accept what I have now, I want to do more. I am striving to be the perfect example of what success should be, I am taking the challenge head on in hopes that my story can inspire someone to do better. No more fears, no more saying I can’t….the time is now and success is here.

8 comments:

12kyle said...

Let that fear propel you greater heights. You're on the right track. Grad school is the a great step. Trust me!

Mizrepresent said...

D, when i first read this, i read it from work, and i was like, Boy you better get your groove on...you are so talented, have so much drive and compassion...you are meant to ascend...kudos to you for following your dream.

ms narcelo said...

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others."

either Nelson Mandela or Marianne Williamson said this - I'm getting mixed answers

ms narcelo said...

P.s. I started blogging again!

Jada said...

I feel you D! This is something I struggle with everyday and I'm two years shy of 30. I'm not sure that feeling will ever truly go away as it may be that internal nagging and push we all need to keep moving forward even when and if we fail! Good luck with grad school hon! I hope everything works out for you!

Glo said...

ms narcelo laid it down.

Real talk.

I admire you Darrius... and I am very proud of you... your success... your strives...and your relationship. I feel good "knowing" you. You're definitely on the right track...never stop climbing hunny. Never.

alex grim said...

I hope the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me a lot.
FEAR OF SUCCESS

ben buckle said...

We are new to your blog and just spent about 1 hour and 45 minutes of reading. We think that we will frequently visit your blog from now on.FEAR OF SUCCESS