Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I AM

I am
Afraid of the future holds for me. Although there is a bit of excitement there, the problem with the future is that it cannot be determined; I must take the wait-and-see approach. I can only believe that there is nothing but great things ahead of me-I guess there is a bit of fear of being successful. There is so much about to take place in my life…getting my own apartment, starting school next fall, and finally taking care of me. All of these things I know will become a bit overwhelming.

I am
More than a conqueror. Yes I may be somewhat hesitant of what the future holds for me in my life, but I know that God has given me the ability to overcome any obstacles that is placed in front of me. I am a fighter, with a fiery competitive edge. Losing is not an option in life, and it will never become one. Even during my most troubling hour, I must realize that Joy comes in the morning.

I am
Human. I make mistakes and I’m far from being infallible. I think some people have a tendency to place me on such a high pedestal, that they forget that I often make mistakes just like everyone else. Every day I strive for perfection just as many of us do, but I often fall short. What I don’t need is for someone to act like the world is coming to end because I made a wrong decision. We all make bad choices in life…but its apart of the growth of finding the Real Darrius.

I am
A great lover. Not to toot my own horn, but I know how to love. I can be very passionate, romantic, caring, a great listening, and a strong support system. My problem is that I haven’t actually gave a woman all of that at one time on a consistent basis. However, as a direct result of my past experience in relationships, I fully understand now that love can’t come here and there. Although my actions prove to be other wise, I fully capable of being a great lover.

I am
A leader. Ever since my sophomore year in college, I realize that God has blessed me with the ability to be a leader. And that is a characteristic that I can’t just let sit there without putting it to use. I am unsure of what capacity my leaderships skills will be exercised in, I do know that it will have something to do with giving back to the youth.

I am
A true friend. Growing up in East Oakland, I learned at an early age what loyalty stood for. And I stay true to what I was taught as a youngster. Of all of the people that I associate myself with I can guarantee you that all of them will tell you that I have their back no matter what. We have become so accustom to throwing around the word friend, many of have forgotten what the term really means. Above all I never turned my back on people and I don’t plan on it.

I am….cheap, yet expensive at the same time
I am…weird
I am…not easily persuaded
I am…hard headed
I am… stubborn
I am…willing to learn
I am…eager to help others in need
I am…somewhat passive
I am…quiet by nature, and free when I’m comfortable
I am…observer
I am...not a procrastinator
I am…humble
I am…a work in progress
I am…Darrius.

Either Love me or Leave me alone!

4 comments:

ShellyShell said...

That's nice that you're able to reflect on yourself like this. I think a lot of people don't know how to be a lover,listener, supporter etc on a consistent basis. I was just talking about how I need consistency!
Have you read the new Hill Harper book? It's pretty interesting. You should pick it up!

ShellyShell said...

BTW: Duke lost tonite!! Hehehehe!

Mizrepresent said...

I really love this, pulling back the layers...it's all good to know who you are and don't be afraid of success, take each at a time, and every small step you take towards your goal will lead you to where you wanna be. Love how you want to mentor...big kudos!

Don said...

I too am quiet by nature. I think that goes back to both of us being keen observers. I think you are a leader as well. Humble, Yep.

Good luck with college and stepping out on your own, bruh. That's the bidness @ What I don’t need is for someone to act like the world is coming to end because I made a wrong decision.